Forsaken

Forsaken  - Jacquelyn Frank
"New York Times bestselling author Jacquelyn Frank continues her scorching and sensual new series set in the world of the Nightwalkers, where alluring entities known as Bodywalkers are the vanguards against the raging forces of darkness.

As a mercenary, Leo Alvarez has signed on for a lot—but he never signed on for his best friend becoming host to the soul of an ancient Egyptian pharaoh. Jackson is now inhabited by a Bodywalker, and Leo is forced to grapple with a realm of supernatural beings far more dangerous than anything he’s ever encountered.

But when Jackson is wounded by an attack from a demon god, Leo must team up with another supernatural creature—a Night Angel—to save his friend from utter destruction. With skin as black as midnight, hair as white as snow, and a body of pure perfection, the Night Angel arouses a burning desire in Leo, even as he refuses to be intimidated by her power—or the power of those who would destroy his friend. An unusual alliance is forged, electrified by sexual temptation, and together the two must unite their strengths to bring down a supreme evil."

My Thoughts:

This is the third book in The World of Nightwalkers series, a spin-off of the Nightwalkers series. Having not read anything from these two series I was unsure whether I could just jump in. I could. There were characters and things mentioned from previous books, of course, but not something that made me confused or took anything away from my enjoyment of the story. Though I would recommend reading this series from the beginning. I'm hoping to go back and read them.

The characters were essentially the strong point for me in this book. Both Leo and The Night Angel, Faith, were characters that I came to care about. Leo is going through a trauma, both physically and mentally, after having been tormented and being introduced to the Paranormal world. He's a human, so it's all very new to him. You come to understand him completely, thanks to a wonderfully written inner dialog, but also due to a very realistic character development throughout the book. I loved that the author took her time with Leo and didn't make his pain and confusion magically disappear. Faith was another character that was beautifully written. The descriptions of her physical looks through Leo's eyes were among my favorites, and I could understand why these two people were attracted to each other and why they balanced each other out so well. Their story and the feelings they're feeling throughout the book are so touchingly written that I was fully emerged in their story.

The world-building is fantastic, as well. It's no small feat that you get a clear image and idea of each of the Nightwalker races in this story (including The Night Angels, The Wraiths, the Gjinn's, and the Mystics are mentioned as well).

I did sometimes feel that there were too many inner thoughts going on which made the book feel a bit slow going at times, especially at the beginning of the book. Despite this it was an intriguing, and of course, sensually hot read! This is a story dealing with some dark traumas and dark evils, but it has a sensual romance with two complex and realistically written characters that make this a great PNR with a great HEA, as well.

[bc:Forbidden|11193959|Forbidden (The World of Nightwalkers, #1)|Jacquelyn Frank|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1341978258s/11193959.jpg|19118237][bc:Forever|15746101|Forever (The World of Nightwalkers, #2)|Jacquelyn Frank|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1341981178s/15746101.jpg|21436544][bc:Forsaken|17737027|Forsaken (The World of Nightwalkers, #3)|Jacquelyn Frank|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1369436924s/17737027.jpg|24815686][bc:Forged|18282912|Forged (The World of Nightwalkers, #4)|Jacquelyn Frank|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1381016196s/18282912.jpg|25756666]

I received an ARC through netgalley from Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine, in exchange for an honest review.