Heir to the Shadows

Heir to the Shadows  - Anne Bishop
"Enough time has passed for the young girl Jaenelle, heir to the magical Darkness, for her physical wounds to heal, while amnesia keeps her frightening memories at bay. But with Saetan--a Black-Jewelled Warlord Prince and Jaenelle's foster-father--to protect her, she will continue to grow. Her magic will mature. Her memories will return. And Jaenelle will face her destiny when she remembers Daemon, Saetan's son, who made the ultimate sacrifice for her love...."

My Thoughts:

(Please don't read this unless you've read the first book.)
“Sometimes he caught a glimpse of a girl with long golden hair running away from him. He always followed, desperate to catch up with her, desperate to explain… He couldn’t remember what he needed to explain. Don’t be afraid, he called to her. Please, don’t be afraid. But she continued to run, and he continued to follow her through a landscape filled with twisting roads that ended nowhere and caverns that were strewn with bones and splashed with blood. Down, always down.”

As readers, we discover that Jaenelle and Daemon don't remember what happened at the end of book 1. We see her father-of-the-soul Saetan trying to get Jaenelle back to her body at the beginning of the book. Ultimately, it is her love for him when she needs to save him that makes her come back to her physical body. The trauma of what happened to her in the first book is being hidden from her so that she can grow up as normal as possible, until she's ready to face the trauma without leaving her physical body again.
“If she didn’t heal emotionally, if she could never endure a man’s touch… He wasn’t the key that could unlock that final door. There was much he could do, but not that.

He wasn’t the key. Daemon Sadi was.”

Daemon becomes trapped in The Twisted Kingdom, convinced that he hurt Jaenelle. Jaenelle is the key to get him back to sanity, just as Daemon is the key to get Jaenelle to remember what happened to her. You feel the loss and the hollowness. The missing pieces needs to come together to form Jaenelle's Court and we see all of that slowly becoming a reality throughout this book. We get to know Lucivar more as he becomes part of jaenelle's court and we get to meet new characters, like the unicorns, dragons, wolves etc., that comes to form the rest of the court.

“My…mate…is trapped in the Twisted Kingdom. If I don’t show him the way out, he’ll be destroyed.”

All that is missing is Daemon... Book 3 here I come!

“She has the strength, the knowledge, and the desire. She’ll bring him out of the Twisted Kingdom.” It wasn’t what Lucivar meant, and they both knew it.

“Why didn’t you stop her? Why are you letting her risk herself?”

Saetan bent his head, avoiding Lucivar’s eyes. “Because she loves him. Because he really is her mate.” Lucivar was silent for a minute.

Then he sighed. “He always said he’d been born to be Witch’s lover. Looks like he was right.”

I highly recommend this second book. It was just as amazing as the first book, though less dark; don't get me wrong, the series is still dark but just in a different way. I loved how things came together as Jaenelle grew into a twenty year old woman. All the characters are so wonderfully thought out and the world-building is beautifully created. I finally got to know Lucivar more in this book and it made me so happy! I love his character and the way he his towards Jaenelle. He's like a brother to her and handles things with Jaenelle differently than Saetan, her father-of-the-soul. I loved how he made her eat when she wouldn't.

*sigh* This series has become a favorite already! I've already begun book 3 ;).

My favorite quotes below. Please don't read if you haven't read this book as they're spoilery.